This district, set beside the Chao Phraya River, was created when the Western community living in Bangkok in the 1860s requested His Majesty King Rama IV to build a road for them to walk and to ride their carriages.
Bangkok had until that time been mainly based on the river and a network of canals, and this was the first modern road in the city. Shophouses were quickly built along much of its length, and a market grew up in the area where our hotel now stands, famous for its Thai and Chinese food, for many Chinese immigrants settled in the neighbourhood.
Phraya Jasaen was the great-grandfather of the present owners. He was the first Minister of Interior to serve under King Rama VI, who came to the throne in 1910, and he also served as Chairman of the Privy Council. In recognition of his devoted service, His Majesty bestowed upon him the land upon which The House of Phraya Jasaen stands today.